A monster Warcraft forum thread from September 2006 that delivers: The Rogue with One Sword. (For the Warcraft illiterate — rogues can learn dual wield at level 10. Before this thread, I would have said “rogues learn dual wield at level 10”, but now I know better … not all of them do.)
For reference, I am an Alliance rogue. Your mileage may vary.
Evil things I like to do in World of Warcraft’s PVP Battlegrounds:
1. Kill warlock pets. This has become such an addiction for me, I’ll cheapshot, blind, sap (the miscellaneous stuns available in the rogue bag of tricks) the warlock, and let him stew for a bit while I kill the pet. That’s right, I’ll leave a loose warlock out there just so I can nail the pet. This isn’t even a tactical decision, this is me being a dick. (Thanks to Raster for introducing me to this mini-game within the PVP game.)
2. Turn on auto attack while a caster is backing up in my direction. Caster, meet the buzzsaw. Most of the time, I do this for my own amusement rather than out of necessity because, say, stealth or vanish aren’t available.
3. Allow the 5-combo pointed priest/mage to think he dodged a bullet. The priest or mage does his/her thing, I do mine — 5 combo points worth of mine. The mage iceblocks, the priest psychic screams (their AE fear), whathaveyou. I restealth or vanish, they back away, alt-tabbing wildly, looking for me. (When I have 5-combo points, caster, you don’t back away, you run away.) Tada! Surprise! See ya next fall.
4. I’m a bow-spec rogue … honest. I love the frost nova + blink combo that mages do. One of the few chances I get to haul out ye olde bow in PVP. I COULD vanish out of the frost nova (it’s a mage root), but it’s more sporting to bow them down.
5. Guard Alterac Valley’s Snowfall graveyard. Not really, who gives a shit about Snowfall once the Alliance has Iceblood or beyond? Not me. But sometimes there’s a shouting dude in the AV raid that calls everyone tards (or in their venacular, “retarts”) and shouts out instructions as if no one in the raid has ever won an Alterac Valley before. If we’re losing or falling behind, it’s never THEIR fault, it’s always the rest of us because they’re the smartest human on the planet. In our raid! The smartest! Talk about lucky.
Anyways, they’ll shout their Captain Obvious instructions and I’ll remind them (several times if necessary) /bg I’m on defense at Snowfall. Eventually, they take the bait and call me an idiot in the raid channel. “ABANDON SNOWFALL U TART! GET DOWN TO FROSTWOLF!” Did I say Snowfall? I meant the Relief Hut.
Imagining the bulging vein in their forehead gives me a great deal of pleasure.
Similar dickweed stuff I do to the shouting dudes in Warsong Gulch: /bg Hiding the flag in Horde base cuz they’ll never look for it here!
Last week, World of Warcraft’s six million monkeys typing, aka The Forums, were migrated to new software, perpetrating one of the largest linkocides in gaming history. Old links referenced on AFK Gamer are, for the most part, archived on Furl or on Hanzo. Generally, I’ve already posted the archive link in each post. I’m all about future-proofing. Live threads on the old Warcraft forum software can be accessed, temporarily at least, through http://220.127.116.11/ — that is, an old link like this (mouseover to examine, left-click is dead) becomes this (mouseover to examine, left-click to read). That’s a good thread, by the way — solid discussion on rogue PVP builds and tactics.