Surprise!

July 15, 2007 by at 11:27 pm • Filed Under Etc.
Tags: ,

While you were busy reading a better website, I was busy upgrading AFK Gamer to the latest WordPress and a different look.

One of the reasons to upgrade was that the post database was so HUGE, it was choking the old version of WordPress, as you might have noticed yourself on some days. Another reason, a few of the plugins I use were losing functionality as plugin authors threw their time and support behind the 2.2+ version. I don’t like lost functionality — fully functional is a real life priority of mine.

Lastly, AFK Gamer is three years old today — what better way to mark the occasion than an upgrade and a design change. You might want to celebrate by enjoying some blog reruns, like the first post, “Self-Indulgent Introduction” when I began my story at the beginning of the story, or, read some favorites.

There’s a few things I don’t have fully operational yet with the new design, like the archives or the search function (ya, annoying). All that should be fixed within a couple of days.

Meanwhile, I added a “Foton in Reruns” section to the footer, which is a randomized snippet from past posts. Many thanks to blog fan Firefly (not her real name) for combing through years of posts and cutting and pasting code for hours and hours. I’ve always thought I should quote myself more, like the Poindexters, and now I’ll be doing just that thousands of times a day. God, the ego on me!

Thanks too, of course, to all the AFK readers. Oh I know you’re thirsty for misadventures and guild drama — my tears sustain you. However, whyever you’re here, I’m glad you are. I have learned far more from your comments and emails than you ever learned from me, I’m sure of that.

Looking forward to Year 4’s adventures and travels,
Foton

Comments

21 Responses to “Surprise!”

1. BigFreak on July 16th, 2007 1:21 am

Guess a dinggratz is in order, or something. Digging the new look but there’s a, like, 5px bar of colour at the very top of the page. Intentional!?!?!1

2. kaoskongo on July 16th, 2007 1:39 am

gratz on your new layout 🙂

3. ghiest on July 16th, 2007 1:44 am

I’m too lazy to upgrade mine, I’m sure I will get hacked at some point and made into a phishing site for citybank or something.

I do like the new layout though, nice and clean. But I’m not sure if the red line at the top is supposed to be there or not? Or is it just my bastardized Firefox mobile playing up.

4. Heather on July 16th, 2007 1:45 am

Whoa. Wow.

Happy birthday and nice work on the layout!

5. VirtualRealityGuy on July 16th, 2007 2:11 am

Grats on the ding!

And I also get the red line at the top of the page. Running Explorer 7.0.

6. mmoexplorer on July 16th, 2007 3:56 am

I really like your new blog design. And gratz on the birthday.

7. Curium on July 16th, 2007 4:47 am

Happy (site) Birthday!

8. Laura on July 16th, 2007 5:14 am

Grats on the anniversary! Super clean, nice new layout.

9. Elbows on July 16th, 2007 6:57 am

Grats Foton, you keep writing and I’ll keep reading.

10. chicogrande on July 16th, 2007 7:34 am

Grats Foton. This new format is quite sexy…

11. Delaney on July 16th, 2007 8:17 am

Congratulations on three years of blogging for our enjoyment. Your style and humor are much appreciated.

12. Belittle on July 16th, 2007 11:04 am

Congratulations. I stumbled upon afkgamer.com about 3 months ago and I am very happy that I did.

13. Tony on July 16th, 2007 1:25 pm

Grats on the ding. Few blogs have made me actually LOL, so thanks for all the entertainment. Thanks for all the blogging help you provided me personally, as well.

Looking forward to more!

14. Torcie on July 16th, 2007 2:27 pm

Grats on the b’day and I see no red line at all.

15. Rog on July 16th, 2007 11:15 pm

Gratz, looks good. Nice and clean. =)

16. Mena on July 17th, 2007 3:08 am

Grats on your anniversary! The new site looks great. Nice job on the “Foton in Reruns” – thanks Firefly!

17. celerie on July 17th, 2007 7:27 am

very pretty. where’s all your good links? my tuesday entertainment needs require them. >

18. Foton on July 17th, 2007 10:06 am

Thanks all. Fixed the links page, archives still screwy.

I took out the red line. It was intended, but didn’t work out as a design element. Obviously. 🙂

19. towers on July 18th, 2007 3:25 am

FOTON RULES OK

20. Jim K on July 18th, 2007 6:52 am

I fell down this rabbit hole a year ago. Thanks for the entertainment all these months. best damn gamer blog anywhere!

21. brackishwater on July 27th, 2007 6:55 am

Gratz on 3 years Foton! This is a definite milestone and one that deserves cake.. or beer. Cake and Beer? Just beer, nm.

I like the new design, its really clean.