The Pale Light of the Greater Moon

January 27, 2006 by at 3:10 pm • Filed Under World of Warcraft Journal
Tags: , , , ,

Lunar MoongladeBy now, you’ve probably read about the World of Warcraft’s Lunar New Year’s Festival, loosely based on the Chinese New Year’s celebrations.

The cities are redecorated, there are kinky quest rewards to be had, and best of all, there’s a teleport system included with your Lunar Festival Invitation linking the major cities … available to you once every 10 minutes, 20 minutes if you have to pass through Moonglade on your way. (Hearthstone is available once every 60 minutes, do the math.) I love kinky quest rewards as much as the next guy, but I LOVE practical, even if I’m only shaving a few minutes off travel time.

Screenshots of the decor and the sights are available in a Flickr Lunar Festival photo set.

Take some time this weekend to see the Lunar sights for yourself. Spectacular.

Comments

9 Responses to “The Pale Light of the Greater Moon”

1. tyleulen on January 27th, 2006 5:03 pm

There is a non druid alliance flight point in Moonglade, on the south side of the lake near where the big raid puppie boss spawns.

2. Erunamo on January 27th, 2006 10:50 pm

I find it ironic that the most peaceful place in all of Azeroth, Moonglade, is now ridden with corpses.

3. Troggdor on January 28th, 2006 1:14 am

Something that just needs to be seen.

4. Brent Michael Krupp on January 29th, 2006 11:35 am

One of the best things about this is that if you do the basic quest to visit Moonglade for the festival (throw 10 fireworks, get the teleport scroll, talk to a guy in Moonglade) you get about 4800xp. Even if you are level 5! All my lowbie alts just made 1 or 2 levels for just the 4 silver that the fireworks cost.

5. Foton on January 29th, 2006 12:14 pm

Ya, that’s true, it’s mad mad mad exp for very little effort. Considering that, plus the kinky rewards and the lunar decorations, these special events are truly what Blizzard does best.

@Troggdor — Great video link. Watched it twice, lol’d each time.

6. Indy on January 29th, 2006 12:41 pm

One of the best things about this quest, for a low level character, is the ability to pick up the Darnassus (for human/dwarf/gnome) flightpoints or IF/Stormwind flightpoints (for night elves) without the suicide run through the Wetlands. And even for somewhat higher levels, getting the flight path for Moonglade before your forties (non-druids) is nice.

The alliance reputation given for each coin received is nice, and a major incentive for me and probably quite a few others. I love these bonus holiday type quests that give reputation rewards.

Never go on an adventure without a hat!
    Indy

7. Foton on January 29th, 2006 12:51 pm

Bit more on this topic, if you’re looking to get additional coin rewards beyond the obvious 5 near major flightpaths, thottbot has some good posts on coin elder locations with specific locs and narratives to find the elders. (The post by jtoebes is particularly helpful — he recommends this list at the WoW wiki.)

There are 50 coins in total, and while I won’t be collecting all 50, as long as I’m passing by an elder, might as well grab a coin.

Most coins (even in hostile/cross-factioned areas) can be collected without combat, although it doesn’t hurt to be a sneaking rogue or dr00d.

EDIT: My comment about hostile/cross-factioned areas is applicable to PvE servers only. Those PvP realm people have additional challenges to collecting coins, OBVIOUSLY.

8. Chai on January 29th, 2006 1:05 pm

I happened to stumble on this site from Grumpy Gamer’s site when I noticed this post on the Lunar Festival. I just have to give kudos to Blizzard for adding that little mail message from the elders that you’ve visited with Lucky Red Envelopes. This comes very close to the Chinese New Year tradition of giving out lai-see (lucky money in red envelopes).

Even though there seems to be a lot of added lag, this has definitely been an interesting event.

9. By the Light of the Moon! at MMOG Nation on January 31st, 2006 2:44 am

[…] As a newly reminted citizen of Azeroth, and someone who appreciates Asian culture, I am enthralled by the neatness of the Lunar Festival. AFK Gamer has a quick rundown on the details, and an extensive Flickr gallery of the scenery. The official site, of course, has the real deal with Bill McNeal. […]